Tuesday 31 May 2016

Flowers at home

My beautiful peonies are in bloom right now
Love these violas. 
My daughter wants peonies at her wedding at the end of July. But the peonies in my garden are out now. It is their season. Does anyone know whether or not peonies can be dried successfully - I'm thinking of decoration, not for bouquets. Also where is the best place to go for fresh peonies out of season?

Do you like the blue glass vase the peonies are in? I was lucky enough to find it on the bric a brac stand at Harting Village Day last year. Yesterday I had a stand at Harting but following a drama with the car - flat battery- I arrived two hours late. It was a good opportunity to promote the shop. I gave out countless business cards. The weather was not on our side with lowering skies threatening rain all day and cruel gusts of wind that kept blowing things off my stand and into the road. However it was good to meet people and to see old friends.

Upcycling - do you do it? Last night I saw something on the tv when a man split apart a wood chest of drawers and made it into floor to ceiling storage. I'm not sure about this. A bit Emperor's New Clothes. It's fashionable but that doesn't mean we've got to like it...

3 comments:

Brenda Tilbury said...

Hi Jenny. I've never tried to dry a peony...but I will give it a go! What a shame about yesterday.....but at least it wasn't like this morning! And I love the blue (my favourite colour) and the violas are just perfect.......

jenny said...

Hi Brenda. I'll have peonies in the shop this week. Wondering if the partly opened buds would be easier to dry than full-blown flowers? Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit. Hope all goes well with you and the family.

Brenda Tilbury said...

I think the fully open ones would work better, it does with roses, as there is more moisture in the closed ones...I would only give them a little water then ignore them, hoping they will gently dry out! Hoping to get over to see you soon.......xx