Tuesday 13 October 2015

Knitting and Stitching Show visit /2

Michala Gyetvai's exciting stitched work
Love the movement and energy in Michala Gyvetvai's pieces.
'Colour Me' by New Zealand artist Alysn Midgelow-Marsden
Close up of that interesting gold flecked yarn I showed yesterday.
 Michala Gyvetvai's work reminded me of Van Gogh with those urgent patterns full of energy and movement. Click on her pictures to go to her website.

There were other artists whose work I want to share but I didn't feel comfortable taking photos of the young students' work. Amy Tang is one of those whose exploded rose theme was so pretty and delicate. I think we'll hear more of her in the future.

My favourite exhibition area was occupied by Sue Dove and Jill Denton. Bright colours, naive pictures in embroidery and using rag rug techniques.Deceptively simple but the impact was strong and just to see it was uplifting. Pictures tomorrow. 

I came away thinking how important it is to be yourself in your art. Not to make what you think will sell or to be influenced by anyone else but just to do your own thing. No compromise. Be the best 'you' that you can be. And working with passion and energy, sometimes at speed,maybe gives something extra to the finished work.


No comments: