Monday 30 December 2013

Night time reading

Laser cut card (Waitrose) illuminated by candle light
 Do you like to read books? I read at night. I try not to read in the shop because it looks bad to the customer. Recently I've been waking at stupid o'clock 3am but been happy to read until it starts to get light outside. 

Currently I'm savouring Toni Morrison's 'Beloved'. It's a rich read but an anxious one. On any page something horrifying may be described and I'm a bit of a wimp. I can't read about the Holocaust or ghost stories or gory crime thrillers.

 I like something literary - ideally  it's won a prize - then it already has other peoples' seal of approval. When I find an author I like I read everything written by them. 

As a child I read what was on the bookshelf. An absolute red letter day was when Mr Loom arrived on business from England and he always brought me a wonderful childrens' book. Swallows and Amazons, Alice in Wonderland, What Katy Did, The World of Christopher Robin, Fairy Tales from Hans Christian Anderson all were handed to me from his suitcase and all are still with me on the shelves of my bookcase now.  

1 comment:

Fibre frenzi said...

Happy memories of lovely books!