Monday 22 July 2013

Christopher Robin country

The shop called Pooh Corner at Hartfield
A Disney Pooh and Disney Eeyore sit outside the shop

Pretty buildings in the village of Hartfield
Houses in Hartfield
 When my grandmother lived with us in East Grinstead and I was a young teenager, my mother used to take her on afternoon drives. Now it is me taking my mother on those same country roads...
Hartfield is where young Christopher Robin used to live and have adventures with his friends Pooh bear, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet. My dad read those stories (and poems) to me and my children had them read to them. Nowadays children might know Christopher Robin and Pooh through the films Disney made about them.

The shop 'Pooh Corner' has all the original books and every sort of Winnie the Pooh themed gift you could imagine - most inspired by the Disney pictures not the E.H. Shepard ones. I would like to know more about where locally Christopher Robin lived and played. I'll check online and get back to you!

The answer is Cotchford Farm, Cotchford Lane, Hartfield. Coincidentally it looks like it is currently for sale with Savills for £2 million. Set in 9.5 acres of land the property was bought in 1925 by Christopher's dad, A.A. Milne who was inspired to write about his son and his toys in this lovely setting. 

No comments: