Thursday 16 August 2012

Lucky find

Shirley Trevena is one of my favourite artists. 
This week I was lucky to find not one but two of her framed prints in a charity shop for just £3.99 each.

Yesterday afternoon Ann and I had a papier mache session. Ann was the teacher (she makes the lovely embroidered pictures in Handmade Happiness).

 My job was to find Hula Hoops! I enquired at the sports shops. They offered me ones with weights in them for £19.99.  I finally tracked down just the thing at the new toy shop in  Lavant Street for £1.99 each.

We tore newspaper into strips, dipped it in wallpaper paste and wrapped the hula hoops all the way round. Then another layer of newspaper, a layer of white paper and finally bronze tissue paper to turn them to 'gold.' It felt like making the Olympic rings, especially as they are so big. They are now drying in the window. Eventually they'll be used for shop display to be wrapped in ivy maybe and have things for sale tied on all the way round.

No comments: