Friday 10 February 2012

Very special ribbon

I can't remember whether my mother or my grandmother gave me this ribbon. I have two bundles of it in different colourways. I know it is very old because my grandmother had it in her sewing box ever since my mother can remember. It is very beautiful, shot with gold, and I can't imagine ribbons being woven with this level of complexity any more.

My grandmother was a tailoress. She also had that rare skill of being able to look at a photograph in Vogue, then cut a pattern and create an outfit for my mother looking very like it. I wish I had known her better.

For years I have thought this ribbon too good to use but for this Valentine's Day I have used small pieces in the boxes and cards.

Do you store things up feeling you will use them someday but you don't know when?

No comments: